ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stuart Kohlhagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:28:46 +1100

One of the exhibitions we are working up at the moment is on the broad
subject of Measurement.. And we have been working on some exhibits in
this area of imaging. We have found a great discription of the
tomographic process in A.K. Dewdney's book "the tinktoy computer" in a
chapter called "scanning the cat"  which in essence steps through the
process David has suggested - highlighting the mathmatical process that
is required to work back from the transmission values to reconstruct a
structure. When reflecting on this process it struck me that it really
is very similar to the good old magic squares.. Imagine the values at
the edge of the magic square are the transmission values, and solving
the squares internal values gives you the internal structures/ or
densities.

Going about it this way, your demo could be to show the light
penetrating a visitors hand.. Get across the the idea of transmission
and changing opacities, then hand out a few 4 by 4 magic squares for the
group to "scan their own cats".. You can even bring in the false
colouring techniques used, by assinging a colour to a value and getting
the younger kids to colour in the squares...
 Finish off by showing a 256 x 256 magic square and ask them to get
started :)
Makes the point about the amount of processing power used to do the real
thing.

Hope this helps.

Dr Stuart Kohlhagen
Leader New Concepts
Questacon
The National Science and technology Centre
Canebrra