ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Earl Stirling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2011 09:23:21 -0700

In this case, the "pulley" isn't acting as a pulley.  In the parlance of a
simple machine, to be a pulley it must do one of three things:

   - change the direction of a force
   - transmit rotational motion
   - realize a mechanical advantage

In this case, the "pulley" is doing none of those things, and is acting as a
wheel and axle.

You can tell this by imagining that the rider and wheel on top of the zip
line... imagine a tight rope walker on roller skates.  You'd expect to buy a
set of wheels and axles, not a pulley.

----
Earl Stirling

Building SCIENCE!
e x p l  O  r a t o r i u m
3601 Lyon St
San Francisco CA 94123
+1.415.353.0401

the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at
www.exhibitfiles.org.

> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft.
To learn more, visit