ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bruce Wyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 21:32:59 -0600

>  It appears similar to Jeff Han's groundbreaking work, but seems to
>use different technology.  I think the Microsoft version uses video
>tracking, while Jeff uses something called "total frustrated
>internal reflection."

A snippet from an email on another listserv that I'm on that
discusses some of the origins:

At 8:07 PM -0700 5/30/07, Chris Bernard wrote:
>Some people have asked on this list how Microsoft Surface was
>created and who worked on it, with specific inquiries into Bill
>Buxton. Bill has consulting on the project since about 2004 (About a
>year before he came into Microsoft. The principal folks in Microsoft
>that made the project a reality are guys named Andy Wilson and Steve
>Bathiche.
>
>As Will Parker points out there is a large body of work from a
>number of companies and efforts that have focused on similar topics
>(The most notable and relevant perhaps being Philips under Irene
>Mccara Williams).
>
>http://www.design.philips.com/About/Design/Section-13506/Index.html

[snip]

>As I learn more about what I can share about Microsoft Surface I
>will share it here. I suspect that it might get mentioned in a few
>weeks at the UPA conference in Austin where Bill Buxton is speaking.
>
>Chris Bernard
>Microsoft
>User Experience Evangelist
>312.925.4095
>
>Blog: www.designthinkingdigest.com
>Design: www.microsoft.com/design
>Tools: www.microsoft.com/expression

But, yeah, looking at some of the Surface videos, they seem very
similar to some of Jeff's demos, interface-wise. It may just be that
there's now starting to form a common vernacular to tangible touch
interfaces, though.

-bw.
--
Bruce Wyman, Director of Technology
Denver Art Museum  /  100 W 14th Ave. Pkwy, Denver, CO 80204