ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 11:58:47 -0400

>Jason wrote:
>I had a long conversation with a biologist friend over the weekend,
>and concluded that semantics plays a big role in the general
>public's resistance to--or reluctance to accept fully-- the concept
>of evolution.
>
>To illustrate, we take this fairly basic lesson of evolution:
>mutation happens when an accident occurs in DNA replication.
>The word "mutation" carries plenty of negative connotation in
>popular parlance, and the word "accident"--which biologists seem
>very comfortable using--makes evolution seem like a rather haphazard
>circumstance.  My biologist friend casually used words like
>"mistake" and "bad strand [of DNA]" as well.
>
>Using this vocabulary is a result of humancentric thinking (I think).
>It looks like accidents and mistakes to us, because similar
>scenarios on a human-scale, in our day-to-days lives, are in fact
>accidents and mistakes.
>
>As I now understand it, cells are constantly trying new DNA
>patterns, maintaining readiness for changes in the environment.

Well, this seems to imply that cell are making themselves ready for
these changes when in fact evolution is neutral having no goal. The
heritable (genetic) changes occur randomly in populations with no
purpose. Natural selection works on these random changes in
populations.

I agree that deep understanding of evolution requires a familiarity
with science language at a sophisticated level but recall that Darwin
knew nothing of heredity (Mendel's work was not available to him),
genes, mutations (though the word "sport" was used) or DNA and yet
was able to posit an hypothesis about the driving force (natural
selection) behind evolution. So if Darwin could understand evolution
without modern science what is the problem to day? is it that we
write about it in ways (language) that lay people cannot possibly
understand? What would happen if we described natural selection and
evolution in a naturalistic way, as Darwin did? Would there be less
resistance and greater understanding? I am not sure. Darwin put off
publication, in part, because he was concerned about his wives
religious beliefs.

I am unaware of any studies that finely dissect the reasons for lay
persons resistance to accepting evolution between understanding the
language and religious beliefs. In fact somewhere I have read that a
lot of people in the spectrum between literal interpreters of the
bible and evolutionists are a lot of people who accept evolution
(micro-evolution and macro-evolution) but draw the line at human
evolution; and not for semantic reasons.

Martin

--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D
Vice President, Science