ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lisa Jo Rudy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:25:21 EDT

Interesting!  So maybe what's needed is a traveling exhibit or website or
both on the topic "What is Science?" that confronts the question in a
straightforward way?  E.g., "science IS a process;" "science is NOT a set of creedal
beliefs;" "science DOES encourage critical thinking;" "science does NOT require
final answers;" etc.!
This may sound a bit cold, but i think that when dealing with a topics
related to science, we need to be scientific about it. It is up to our
visitors to make moral or ethical judgements about such things as
cloning, global warming, etc. BUT, it is up to us to communicate the
science clearly and, where appropriate to distinguish that which is
science from that which is not. Perhaps this is not as easy as it
sounds, but the science must speak for itself without our "moral
support." If the science points to particular response, such as reducing
co2 emissions to reduce global warming, then this is the position we
should take. If creationism is not part of the  scientific paradigm, we
should say so. By entering the political, ethical, moral fray, we have
taken ourselves out of the realm of science and into the realm of
politics, ethics, morality, and unless we are running the Center for
Science, Ethics, Morality and Politics, this might be territory we want
to stay out of. People have plenty of other places to go for
editorialization and spin. Lets leave that stuff to the editorialists
and spin doctors. This of course leaves wiggle room for all kinds of
"here's the science, what do you think" sorts of polls, bulletin boards,
etc. If we want to demonstrate the bredth of opinion on a particular topic.

Lisa Jo Rudy, Writer/Consultant
625 Chelten Hills Drive
Elkins Park, PA 19027
http://www.lisarudy.com/