Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:59:49 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (113 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

I agree.  They are ultimately rooted in two different needs and psychological functions.  It has been repeated demonstrated by individuals and societies that scientific thought and development can co-exist with religious beliefs, with little problem.  Some of the juxtapositions can be remarkable, and here I'm thinking of someone like Frances Collins (or Einstein for that matter) in modern times.  (And I don't think it's profitable to argue about whether or not anyone had a particular belief system, so let's not go there in this thread.)

The belief system has little to do with scientific thought and evidence, and vice versa.  Reconciling the two can be logically impossible, but it doesn't seem to present a problem, sometimes to a remarkable extent the contradictions can border on the absurd.  It is when belief and evidence conflict, and the belief system dictates that the evidence must change that problems arise, and that occurs when the two systems are in close quarters either mentally, socially, or culturally.  There's no need to force that, it will happen.  

Religions have repeatedly demonstrated an uncanny ability to change, accommodate and adapt overtime (just like us); they are social examples of human evolution, and just like all the various forms of life, there need be little rationale rhyme or reason to the current manifestation, as long as we don't have direct niche competition.

It's the order and chaos of life.

On Nov 19, 2009, at 3:42 PM, David Savory wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> I think the key is remembering there are separate satisfactions afforded by science and religion. "Debate" is fruitless because people are talking past each other- you might as well be trying to convince someone who wants a chocolate sundae to shovel snow instead. The assumptions, premises and understandings are all different. Science should happen in science centres and anti-science should happen in church. Trying to make them happen at the same time in the same place will only result in the annihilation of good feelings in a flash of heat, not light. 
> 
> David Savory
> Community Extensions Program Developer and Exhibit Curator
> Science World British Columbia
> TELUS World of Science
> 1455 Quebec Street
> Vancouver, BC
> Canada V6A 3Z7
> 
> t: 604.443.7561
> f: 604.443.7434
> e: [log in to unmask]
> w: scienceworld.ca
> 
> Science World British Columbia is a self-supporting non-profit organization which engages British Columbians in science and inspires future science and technology leadership throughout our province.
> 
> 
> This e-mail may be privileged and confidential. Any unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately.
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Charlie Carlson
> Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:00 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: museum responses to the Evolution/Creationist debate
> 
> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> And we have PZ Meyers and you have Richard Dawkins, with whom I agree philosophically, and admire, But I agree with you about the damage they do.  And that takes me to my earlier statement--people need to understand and see the benefits of evolution, wonders of scientific discovery, and wondrous story life and universe.  It's about seeing, feeling, and understanding evidence.  But I'll guarantee you that's not why they are arguing with you.
> 
> Charlie
> On Nov 19, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Ian Russell wrote:
> 
>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology 
>> Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and 
>> related institutions.
>> **********************************************************************
>> *******
>> 
>> 
>> Google threw up this compendium of opinion polls.
>> http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm I know nothing about 
>> the organisation that assembled it.
>> 
>> However, it suggests we need to be more precise with our targeting 
>> when throwing those tomatoes. If half the population has been 
>> persuaded by a small number of activists to reject evolutionary 
>> science, isn't that rather a large 'flock of dodos'?
>> 
>> It seems to me that 'non-combatants' are already being alienated by 
>> collateral damage. Is indescriminate bombing of religion the best way 
>> to run a hearts-and-minds campaign for science?
>> 
>> Promoting public engagement with science through a contagious delight 
>> in phenomena
>> *
>> [log in to unmask] * http://www.interactives.co.uk
>> *
>> Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
>> Awaken curiosity and they feed their own minds for a lifetime.
>> *
>> Ian Russell   (Twitter: ianrusselluk)
>> 

Charles Carlson
Senior Scientist
exploratorium
3601 Lyon St.
San Francisco, CA 94123
[log in to unmask]
Tel:   415-561-0319
Fax:  415-561-0370

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2