ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Yuan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 22:13:44 -0500

Hello,

Mindball has stood up very well for us and has been a big hit at our museum.

The headbands are easy to fix.  They are just three wires going to three
metal tabs.  If the tabs get disconnected, just solder them back together
and sew the headbands back up.  The cord itself is rather durable, an XLR
microphone cord I believe.

The exhibit uses a PC that runs off a Flash card (instead of a hard drive),
a standard practice for kiosks.  I have never seen it crash.  However, after
several years of use, the flash card died.  The parent company overseas
wanted to charge quite a bit of money to replace it, as if we were
purchasing a second license of the software, not just a $20 flash card.

Because the flash card has a special version of windows installed on it, it
is difficult to make a backup of the software.  (Any advice is welcome).
This leaves the exhibit quite vulnerable, since any problem with the
computer and the exhibit's toast.

As a general rule, make sure any software-based exhibits come with a backup
copy of the software, and a warranty or maintenance agreement.

-Eric

Eric Yuan
Exhibit Developer
Children's Museum of Portsmouth