ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Katzman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:01:20 -0400

Tal,

Without knowing your exact exhibit, and what you're trying to get across,
it's hard to figure out alternatives, BUT it seems to me that you either
have to increase the energy density of your light source (aka you need
higher output lights), decrease the weight of your car, decrease the voltage
requirements of your motor or you could "fake it."  Essentially you could
use one set of solar cells along with transistor circuit that regulates the
power the car gets from another source.  This other source could be provided
by onboard batteries that you recharge at night, or it could be provided
through the track itself (if you set it up like a slot car or a train
track).  We were looking at doing a similar thing, where the whole thing
would be powered by large solar panels placed outside that would charge up
batteries.  Then the small internal solar panels would regulate the amount
of electricity the units would take from the batteries.  We never did finish
that unit though.  I saw one exhibit (I think in Arizona) that featured a
car with a solar cell on it that ran in an exhibit.  Try calling Arizona
Science Center to see how they made that work.

-William

William Katzman			[log in to unmask]
Director of Exhibits			(828) 322-8169 x307
Catawba Science Center		(828) 322-1585 (fax)
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather to become a man of value"
-A. Einstein

-