ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:56:18 -0500

>ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>
>Martin
>
>Wow, I am a little disappointed.

Sorry about your disappointment.  Maybe my political bias came
through but I am really objecting to the lack of a fiscal plan for
the time-line presented. I found the stories of the astronauts
riveting (read The Right Stuff) and remember watching the tv cast
from the moon awe struck.

I had hoped I made clear that I really am not proposing a political
discussion here but unfortunately politics is involved in any
budgetary decisions made in Washington. Some I agree with other I
don't on many different levels. I hope I am disagreeing based on
allocation of resources for the project outlined. I agree that maned
space travel is more riveting but look at the fantastic science that
has come from probes? And what are the science goals for the
presidents plan? Sure to be worked out but those are the details that
are so important.  I know there are folks who would volunteer for
these trips in a heart beat but I am not sure we are ready yet. And I
am not sure the quick time-line will get us there.

Perhaps you have more perspective than I do on the engineering and
costs of this project.

Martin

--
Martin Weiss, PhD