ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Stoke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2005 10:06:20 -0400
Our formal education branch here at the Space Telescope

Science Institute's office of public outreach creates a

series of online educational modules known collectively as

Amazing Space:

http://amazing-space.stsci.edu

They asked me to post the following notice about their latest

activity.

******

Before Galileo Galilei spied through a long tube with two

lenses in 1609 and ever since, humanity has been captivated

by the sky. Telescopes from the Ground Up, the newest

addition to Amazing Space, is a journey through the eras of

telescope history, starting with Galileo’s small refractor

and ending with NASA’s Great Observatories. The Online

Exploration traces the fascinating life of telescope

evolution to reveal the inner workings of science

understanding, technological advancements, astronomical

discoveries, and the people who made them. Intermingling the

power of the Internet with national science and technology

education standards, Telescopes from the Ground Up allows

viewers to go back in time to see the furthest reaches of the

universe.

Telescopes from the Ground Up is available at

http://amazing-

space.stsci.edu/resources/explorations/groundup/

Sincerely,

John Stoke

John M. Stoke

Manager, Informal Science Education

E/PO Lead, The James Webb Space Telescope

Office of Public Outreach

Space Telescope Science Institute

3700 San Martin Drive

Baltimore MD 21218