ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jason Jay Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:45:32 -0500

Nat'l Public Radio interviewed children about their thoughts
on space travel, moonbases, and visiting Mars, the results
of which were broadcast during All Things Considered
Wednesday afternoon.

'Twas rather disparaging to hear several of the young ones
exclaim how great it is that we have another planetary
option for when the Earth no longer supports life.

Though I am a believer that Life has an innate desire to
cross the Void (whether that be the Ocean or the Great
Vaccuum), and sometimes (but not always) believe that
crossing that Void may very well be "the Meaning of Life"
or our Destiny, I have difficulty reconciling that
belief with the evidence that we are so deeply dependent
upon the environment the Earth provides for us, especially
in comparison to the other planetary environments we've
studied so far.

One of the lessons we must learn from studying Mars is that
our Earth is a precious and unique place, intricately
meshed with our existence as human beings.

The "When we've used this one up, we'll just move next
door" attitude is rotten, and goes beyond the cynicism of my
own generation, which was bad enough.

It's sad to think that the destruction of our Terran habitat
is a given to the children.  But why else should we
want to go to Mars?  (Oil pipeline?) (<--Aha--maybe I do
have them beat on the cynicism tip...)

--Jason

JasonJayStevens

mediaArts+Sound