ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Haas, Joanna E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2012 13:58:02 +0000

I've gathered some 'on-the-ground' info from the team here at the Science Center in Kentucky. From our Visitor Services team....some insights:

Our hurricane sim has been in since November and is running an average weekly gross of about $400.  We charge $3, and have a rev share with the company.

It takes credit cards and cash (not coins).

We have had at least two people ask for a refund because they put a $1 in and do not realize it is actually $3 to operate.  The machine can verify if it has a credit or not and you can give them back their dollar very easily.  There have been no refunds after they have "experienced the wind".  Simple machine, they only thing I do not like about it is there is no way for us to verify the actual credit card income, they send us an invoice and subtract it from the total amount owed.  Other than that we can keep track of the cash easily.

It has to be 'opened' and 'closed' every day, so a little extra man hours (15 minutes, not major.)

We have had some reporting curiosities, very similar to the penny machine.
Pretty self reliant.  A few cell connection issues that took some time to work out. I would certainly do it again.
It's not the easiest thing to move, but we've only done that twice, and that was only inside the Temp gallery to outside.

We intended to have it only a month....and we're now at seven months and going strong.

Jo Haas
Executive Director
Louisville Science Center
502-561-6109