ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michelle Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 07:45:45 -0600

Informal Science Education Network              <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>An interesting article from the San Francisco Chronicle regarding
>ways to "translate" complex pieces of information into sound rather
>than visuals:
>
>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/05/
>BAGVBNUTFV1.DTL

In addition to this article (very timely, I might add!), I was listening to NPR last week when Ira Flatow had a guest on who was talking about brain function and neuroplasticity.  One thing that she
said somewhat in passing was that there is currently research being done on people with dyslexia and the functioning of their brains.  It was previously thought that dyslexia was a visual disorder,
but now it is coming out that dyslexia may be an auditory disorder - that folks are unable to process the difference between certain sounds, and this manifests itself in reading difficulty, switching
letters around, etc.

The archived Science Friday webpage with info is at http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/2007/Feb/hour2_020207.html .  The podcast is at http://www.sciencefriday.com/feed/ (the one entitled "Train Your
Mind").

Michelle

 (I sense an exhibit or two might be percolating in several ASTC members' brains right now...)  :>)

Michelle Nichols, Master Educator for Informal Programs
Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum
1300 S. Lake Shore Dr.
Chicago, IL  60605
312-322-0520