ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 10:44:25 -0500

> As scientists and science educators, we have to be able to discuss
evolution and creationism. It affects how we do our jobs in a most basic
way. We also have to understand that science and religion are not by
definition mutually exclusive. The discussions of the past few days have
shown that even among ASTC people hold different views.

I think the key point to make here, however, is that evolution vs
creationism does not need to be an issue of science vs religion and
shouldn't be, in our roles as science educators. Though it's clear that
creationism/ID has a religious agenda, among other things, the only aspect
that concerns me is that it claims to be science. It doesn't have an ounce
of scientific methodology in it, nor any evidence to back it up, and
therefore it's pseudoscience. The "theory" is largely made up of arguments
against evolution and each of those arguments can be shown as groundless -
many of them based on misunderstanding what science is, what evolutionary
theory claims, and how the mechanism of natural selection works. The few
empirical claims that ID "theory" has made have been tested and falsified
but most of the claims are faith-based, untestable and therefore, not
science. The logic of the creationist arguments has also been shown to be
wrong. All of this material can be taught without reference to religion.

I agree that science and religion are not mutually exclusive but I think
that evolution and creationism/ID are.

Best,
Amanda

***