ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lisa Hubbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 09:35:17 -0700

We sometimes test exhibition titles with visitors, interviewing them and
showing them printed cards with the titles we're considering. We have tested
3-6 titles at a time. Questions have included:

We'd like your opinion about some names for a new exhibit.
These are some that we're thinking about [hand them the cards].

Suppose you saw a newspaper ad for an exhibit with one of these names.
Which one would you be most likely to make a special trip to see?

Okay; what does __________ bring to mind?

What would you expect to see in an exhibit called ___________?

And which one would you be least likely to make a special trip to see?

Okay; what does __________ bring to mind?

What would you expect to see in an exhibit called ___________?

Do you have any other comments?

We find that these questions give a relative idea of appeal, and uncover
associations that might not have occurred to the staff. Staff guesses about
how people will react are fairly easy to let go of when we see the responses
in visitors' own words. Usually it's clear which titles NOT to use, and
which aspects of the proposed titles do and don't accurately reflect the
exhibit content. Testing the visual images for ads and banners can give
similar insights.

I would recommend using such a process with enough lead time to revise
titles, well before committing to a title for promotion or soliciting
sponsorships.

Lisa Hubbell
Program Evaluator
California Academy of Sciences