ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 06:07:20 -0500

Hello, CK.  Have you looked at the WWW for these?  You might try B&H
(www.bhphoto.com)  in NYC which has a good online catalog.  Also,
during a recent conversation with a projector manufacturer rep, he
pointed out something which I hadn't thought of.  The projectors that
we are specing, like the ones you list below, are intended for
boardroom presentations for which they are on for a couple of hours at
a stretch.  On an exhibit floor they will be on for 8-10 hours at a
time, several days each week.  This manufacturer (who makes projectors
for commercial and other applications) claims that the lifecycle costs
of office projectors will be greater than a commercial projector, even
though the first cost will be higher for the latter.    He said that
the lcd components wear out, which I had not heard of before.  If you
want more info about this particular manufacturer, contact me off list.
  Anyway, let me know if you can  not find prices for these lamps on the
web, and I will see if I can help.

Good luck

Eric Siegel
Director, Planning & Program Development
Connections Project Director
New York Hall of Science

On Mar 28, 2004, at 9:58 PM, Ck Wong wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
> ******
>
> Hi Eric
>
> We have total of 14 LCD projectors with different brands/models.  They
> are
>
> Sanyo, PLC-XU38, 2000 Lumens
> Panasonic, PT-L6500EL, 3600 Lumens
> EIKI, LC-X1100, 4100 Lumens
> NEC, VT45, 1000 Lumens
> Mitsubishi, X500U, 3700 Lumens
> Fujitsu, LPF-4800, 1500 Lumens
> EIKI, LC-X986, 3300 Lumens
>
> Except the Panasonic with dual lamps, all others have one lamp only.
> Please note that the running cost of lamp is directly proportional to
> brightness and life span of the lamp bulb.  Some the low brightness
> lamp
> bulb can give life span even to 5000 hours in economic mode.
>
> Please let me know if you need other information.
>
> Regards
>
> CK WONG
> Hong Kong Science Museum
>

> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 06:09:34 -0500, Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology
>> Centers
>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
> institutions.
>> *****
> **
>>
>> Hello, CK:
>>
>> Can you say more about the projector?  How many lumens, how many
>> lamps,
>> what kind?  We are specifying projectors for a new exhibition, so we
>> have information on replacement lamps.
>>
>> Eric Siegel
>> Director, Planning & Program Development
>> New York Hall of Science
>>
>> On Mar 23, 2004, at 11:11 PM, Ck Wong wrote:
>>
>>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology
>>> Centers
>>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
>>> institutions.
>>> *********************************************************************
>>> **
>>> ******
>>>
>>> Dear All
>>>
>>> With the fading out of the RGB tube video projector, we have to
>>> switch
>>> using LCD projectors.  However, the lamp module is expensive, around
>>> US$450
>>> ~ US$500 depends on whatever brand/module of projector.  The worst of
>>> all
>>> is that it lasts only 2000 hours.  That is about 6 months while we
>>> operate
>>> 12 hours 6 days a week.  It does eat up a portion of our budget in