ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erich Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2009 15:55:28 +0000

I don't know of any commercial product made for this purpose other than plastic jackets for the covers of books such as those used in libraries. Those will not hold up in the museum environment. At least the children's or science center environment. But there are a few methods that various museum's have used with different levels of success. I think you need to decide how long you want the books to  last and to what level you want them to be easy to use. I've had many a children's book taken apart, laminated (med-hvy weight plastic) and then bound with either sex bolts or sandwiched between strips of wood or plastic. Even with the heavy weight laminating plastic they get beat up within a year.

I have also seen and done books with no extra protection other than a great big stamp or label saying "Property of XX Museum" and then these were placed in designated reading areas. Sometiomes they were at least mounted to a board making them a bit cumbersome to move ny distance. They actually did pretty well. But no matter what have back ups on hand or a budget to replace them as needed.

I would only tether if it is critical that the book be "right there" at all times. Tethers get tangled and this seems to lead to yet more damage. If there is floor staff that can walk the gallery every so often and put things back as needed that may be the best strategy.

--
Erich Rose
Exhibit, Environmental and Industrial Design