ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard O Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:34:23 -0800

Pete Stark, a Bay Area Representative to Congress, has introduced a
resolution to designate Feb 12 as "Darwin Day", a day for celebrating
science and reason.  Of course, there's zero chance of this passing in
Congress, but it's nice to see this on the record.  And science museum's
don't need a law to celebrate Darwin Day.

H. Res. 81 can be seen at:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=hr112-81

Here is Rep. Stark's speech [with a noteworthy mention of climate change]:

For the Congressional Record
February 9, 2011

*Statement of Congressman Pete Stark Honoring Charles Darwin and Recognizing
the Importance of Science*

MR. STARK: Mr. Speaker, I rise to introduce a resolution in support of
designating February 12th as “Darwin Day.”  Charles Darwin was born on
February 12, 1809 and his life has had a profound impact on the course of
human history.  Darwin’s theory of evolution by natural selection has not
only provided a compelling explanation for the diversity of life, it is also
the foundation of modern biology and genetics.  Darwin exemplified the
scientific curiosity that has led to new scientific breakthroughs that have
helped humanity solve numerous problems and improve our quality of life.

Charles Darwin is worthy of recognition and honor.  His birthday should be a
time for us to celebrate the advancement of human knowledge and the
achievements of reason and science.  It should also be a time for Congress
and other elected officials to ensure that children are being taught
scientific facts and not religious dogma in our public schools.  It is also
an opportunity to push back against those that seek to undermine the science
of climate change for political ends.

I urge all of my colleagues celebrate Darwin Day on February 12th and
recognize the important role of science in our society.
(Source:
http://www.stark.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2146:floor-statement-honoring-charles-darwin-and-recognizing-the-importance-of-science&catid=81:floor-statements-2011&Itemid=84
)