ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joan Freese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 17:31:37 -0600

CALL FOR PROPOSALS: SciGirls en Espaņol Grants Available!

Twin Cities Public Television is looking for science education programs serving girls from Spanish-speaking households. We want to help you engage girls of Hispanic/Latino origin in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM)! Through our SciGirls en Espaņol outreach program, we will provide bilingual educational resources, customized professional development training for your staff at your organization, and funding of up to $7,000.

SciGirls is a national outreach initiative of the Emmy award-winning PBS children's science series DragonflyTV, funded by the National Science Foundation. SciGirls leverages the resources of DragonflyTV to empower community leaders, outreach professionals, and educators to help girls succeed in STEM.

SciGirls has three primary goals:

1) To foster a greater interest in science and scientific inquiry among girls ages 8 to 14;

2) To provide educators with research-based training, video resources, and complementary print materials modeling authentic explorations of science that anyone can do; and

3) To increase the quantity and quality of girls' science encouragement programs nationwide, through programs tailored to meet the specific needs of diverse communities.

Over the past three years, we've trained over 100 educators and community leaders and reached over 5,000 girls in grades 3 through 8.

To review the past SciGirls educational materials, please visit: pbskids.org/dragonflytv/parentsteachers/scigirls.html

Applying is easy. Contact Margaret Duden at [log in to unmask] for a grant application form. Fill it out and return it by January 16, 2009, to take advantage of this exciting opportunity!