ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2013 19:35:46 +0000

Good Afternoon Ari,
I cannot remember the citation, but several decades ago (late 60s/early 70s) -- maybe it was in Curator ? -- I read an interesting article, where adults were looking at exhibits with children, and the children would ask questions of the adults..... and the adults, in most cases, did not read the exhibit label....so, the adult would make stuff up!  Several months ago, I was walking past an exhibit here at the Pink Palace Museum; there was an adult and child, looking at a mannequin of W.C. Handy (legendary blues musician), holding a trumpet.  The child asked the adult, "Who is that man?"  The adult said, "That man invented the trumpet."  Mind you, there was a prominent label next to the mannequin, interpreting the life story and musical contributions of Mr. W.C. Handy, and identifying the trumpet as having once belonged to Mr. Handy.  Unfortunately, I have dozens of first-hand stories like this from many museums.
This is just one story, relating to how adults are often the source of wrong and sometimes bizarre information to the children in their care......
I would like for someone to study how much mis-information and correct-information is imparted to children by their parents, care-givers, etc...etc...etc...... when looking at an exhibit.
Geeeeeez!
Wesley
Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs
Pink Palace Family of Museums
3050 Central Avenue
Memphis, TN 38111
www.memphismuseums.org
Office 901.636.2370  new telephone number
FAX 901.636.2391  new FAX number

Please consider including the Pink Palace Family of Museums in your charitable giving plans
along with your other charitable interests.
Please visit all our great facilities as well as our website: www.memphismuseums.org Our mission: The Pink Palace Family of Museums inspires people to learn how history.science, technology and nature shape the mid-South. Through rich collections, thought-provoking exhibitions, and engaging programs, we encourage our diverse community to reflect on the past, understand the present, and influence the future