ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alan Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 11:21:44 -0800

Rachel Morgan Theall <[log in to unmask]> wrote
[Subject: gasoline engine conversion to ethanoI] ...have some
students working on converting a gasoline engine from a lawn mower to
run on ethanol.  ...
and Deirdre Schwein <[log in to unmask]> replied ... there are
fairly in depth instructions at
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/id32.html

I was impressed by a demonstration of an internal combustion engine
running on hydrogen.  Pollution measurements of exhaust were CLEANER
than pollution measurements at the air intake!  The demo was by folks
from American Hydrogen Association (http://www.clean-air.org/) and
info about converting engines to hydrogen is at
http://www.clean-air.org/conversion_kit_response.htm
If I recall correctly, it's a bit like converting an engine to run on
natural gas.

----Alan Gould
Director, Global Systems Science
   ...a high school interdisciplinary science course on key societal issues
http://lhs.berkeley.edu/gss
voice: 510-643-5082
University of California
Lawrence Hall of Science #5200