ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jonah Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 15:13:11 -0400

I don't really know enough about the AAM to  say, but I think I'd be willing
to give them the benefit of the doubt; namely that they probably feel free
to announce an Arab American Museum without thinking "Oh no, we'd better put
in some Christian stuff, too! Otherwise the religious right will accuse us
of having a liberal bias!" I don't THINK that they roll like that.

It's a bit of a head-shaker, but I suppose it's good that they let people in
the field know that the creationists are starting up their own museum.
(Forewarned is eight-armed... er, something like that.) And this isn't new;
Duane Gish, one of the leading mouthpieces for creationism, already has such
a museum:

http://www.icr.org/museum/

I hope I won't start an(other) avalanche of postings with this: I don't mean
to write off Matthew's concerns, but I'm a lot less worried that the
creationists have their own museum, and a lot more worried that they've got
many a sympathetic advocate in very powerful positions in the U.S.
government.

Now, I've gone and done it,
Jonah Cohen
Outreach & Public Programs Manager
Science Center of Connecticut

"If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong with
you."
    -They Might Be Giants