ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 19:57:12 -0600

Elton Prater advice seems really important "As someone else mentioned,
on computerized exhibits, we put just the monitor on a remote and the
CPU runs continuously. "

I evaluated a traveling exhibition last year where some of the exhibit
components needed to stay on all the time because they required
sequences of commands after a being completely powered down (the
exhibition included a large-screen 3-D multi-player game). The building
power was on a timer-based system that powered off from a central
console that the building facilities department operated--that worked
fine for exhibits that simply needed to be turned on and off. It didn't
work when additional sequences needed to be initiated.  Making certain
that the differing needs beyond power-up and power-down are accounted
for and included in traveling exhibition manuals sees important as well
as recognizing that power control systems sold for conservation and
designed primarily for heating/cooling/lighting need to be accessible to
the exhibits department.

Carey

Carey Tisdal
Tisdal Consulting