ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:05:56 -0600

I picked up a $10 computer game at Target last night. You get to build your own zoo, with over 175 exhibits, lots of animals, etc. It's in the same line as "railroad tycoon," "build your own prison," "create an amusement park". It's not as good as Sid Myer's "civilization" series but still, it's very fun!

Naturally it got me to thinking about a similar game for science museums. Not just as a game but possibly an interactive exhibit that people can play at the museums themselves. It could be such an amazing tool to teach about what science is .. how you would choose a subject that qualifies as science and therefore warrants space within your museum, how much data you would need to collect as evidence to display within the exhibit. The zoo game isn't as educational but I could easily see how you could turn it into an excellent learning experience.

It would have so many side effects, too. For instance, if you concentrated on the exhibits already in your museum, it would be an excellent way to gather feedback from the public. What could you do better? What types of objects and information the public would like to see. And this could be organized by age group and other particulars that would also help with surveys and statistics.

And then.. you could add art and design concepts, marketing-related considerations, budget, funding, grant issues, and so much more. When presenting the information, the user could rise from docent level all the way to curator level and in this way, they'd need to learn and understand the material presented within the exhibit.

I would love to have the time and resources to create something like this. I might play around with the software I have here (I pick up just about every piece of creative software that can work on a personal PC.) It won't surprise me if I learn this has already been done but if not, I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

It could even work a bit like SETI at home where your museum creates a version, includes it on the exhibit floor but also allows people to download it from the museum web site (or sells it within the gift shop.) It somehow maintains a connection to the main museum computers so you are able to see what people do with it.. you might attract more members or emails for a mailing list (for instance, it could be a freebie for members only), you could entice people with contests and prizes, or update it regularly with new monthly exhibits or "museum problems to solve" .. it could be another way to connect with schools, home schoolers, youth centers, even colleges and universities that offer some sort of program in museum development.

My biggest problem has always been how to turn these ideas into reality. Maybe someone out there sees some potential.

Best,
Amanda

* * *
Amanda Chesworth
Educational Director, Children's Programming
Committee for Skeptical Inquiry
http://www.csicop.org
http://www.inquiringminds.org
http://www.campinquiry.org