ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lisa Hubbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 13:36:09 -0700

Hello all!

David Anderson, who isn't on the list, asked me to post this further
explanation of a project of his which I referred to recently.

Lisa Hubbell

-----

Thanks Lisa.

The study to which you are referring is the Metacognition and Reflective
Inquiry (MRI) Collaborative study that is being undertaken here in Canada,
but also with partners in the US, Australia, Japan, and Hong Kong.  The
study is investigating students' awareness and control of learning in and
emergent from experiences in informal contexts.

Yes, the 72-Item questionnaire does provide some predictive power about
students' metacognitive profiles and key clues about how they subsequently
construct knowledge in an informal setting (and beyond).  Perhaps the more
exciting aspects of the on-going study lay in our emerging findings about
other dimensions of Metacognition (one's own awarness and executive control
of learning).  We are finding that there are dimensions of Meta-social
awareness in the groups of students in our study, and that this meta-social
awareness is a critical factor in how learning in groups manefests.
Meta-social awareness has to do with how students are personally aware of
their own learning strategies they use, but more importantly, how they are
aware of other group members' learning strateges.  We are finding that
student fall into various cognitive roles in groups, and that these
self-selected cognitive roles are at time deliberately chosen for varous
reasons.  At times the cognitive roles they adopt are highly rationalized
but can problematic to the groups learning.  Also, we are finding as we make
students aware of their self-selecting cognitive roles, and are recognising
the limitations of these roles and changing to more effective roles which
are empowering the groups to become more efficent and effective knowledge
producing teams.  Lots more in stall, and we continue to unpack the rick
data sets.

The key implication lay how to formulate highly effective groups that are
empowered for learning - in both informal and formal settings.

Kind Regards

DAVID
Dr David Anderson
Department of Curriculum Studies