ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jonah Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 15:49:34 -0400

According to the Encyclopedia Brittanica, there are conflicting myths about
the muses (some versions list only 3 of them), but the longer list is:

Calliope: Muse of heroic or epic poetry (often holding a writing tablet).

Clio: Muse of history (often holding a scroll).

Erato: Muse of lyric and love poetry (often playing a lyre).

Euterpe: Muse of music or flutes (often playing flutes).

Melpomene: Muse of tragedy (often holding a tragic mask).

Polymnia: Muse of sacred poetry or of the mimic art (often shown with a
pensive look).

Terpsichore: Muse of dancing and choral song (often shown dancing and
holding a lyre).

Thalia: Muse of comedy (often holding a comic mask).

Urania: Muse of astronomy (often holding a globe).

Highly amused,
Jonah Cohen
Outreach & Public Programs Manager
Science Center of Connecticut

"If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong with
you."
    -They Might Be Giants