ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jason Jay Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:31:09 -0400

Instead of vinyl or old-time wood siding, you can use "Hardy board" (or
Hardi-board? --probably a brand name) which is made of cement and is
increasingly being used in new construction (because it never needs to
be replaced!).  We used it on the house exhibit we built inside the
Hands-On Museum a year ago, and by all accounts, it's working great.

The drawback is in the installation-- it's HEAVY.  And it will eat up
saw blades like nobody's business.  Also, it ain't easy to get a nail
through!  However, I've recently noticed blades marketed specifically
for Hardy Board--so one would hope they last longer, and with
pre-drilling and an installation partner with a strong back, these
obstacles can be overcome!

Best of fortunes!
___
JasonJayStevens
exhibits . annArborHands-OnMuseum . [log in to unmask]
art . potterBelmarLabs . www.potterbelmar.org . [log in to unmask]