ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cricket Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2008 13:05:08 -0600

Lorraine -

You may be interested to talk with someone who was involved in the creation
or original operation of Science City in Kansas City.  (For example, Steve
Snyder at the Franklin)

When Science City opened, it was staffed by "interactors" who I believe were
for the most part professional actors.  The concept was that they would
provide engaging script-based interactive experiences with the public about
the science in the exhibits.  The exhibits were designed more as a theater
set than as traditional stand-alone interactives.

By the time I worked there in 2005, the interactor staff had been severely
reduced and mostly replaced by science educators who had more science and
less theater background, although  some interactors made the transition to
the new education department (and were excellent educators).

I believe that the enormous staffing requirements of the original concept
pretty much doomed the budget, and that's why the shift happened.

I hope that is helpful.  It might be a bit tangential to what you're doing,
or it might be an example of how far is too far in terms of economically
feasible blending of science education and theatre in a science center
setting.

Best
Cricket Brooks
General Manager