ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephen Uzzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2011 09:47:46 -0400

Ben -
I will not be at AAM this year, but one important area of discussion might be how to get to new audiences. The notion "guerilla science" fits a couple of ideas that have been practiced in the science museum realm. The idea of doing "drop ins" at pubs (we did a joint session with the Franklin at an ASTC a few years ago), where a group of scientists or science educators set themselves up in a pub in an imposing way and field science questions. Another that Science Gallery has used in the past (If you are on the list, Michael John, my apologies in advance for any mischaracterizations!) is the notion of spontaneous street activities that dramatize or promote science ideas or themes.

The holy grail of attracting and holding on to new and emerging audiences is a big question in the back of our minds because if you build it they won't necessarily come. You might even just bring this up as a question to session-goers. As much as we do as informal learning institutions, we still miss a significant number of people who need to become more science literate, and as John Falk has argued in recent talks and articles, a significant proportion of science learning and hence, science literacy comes from the informal sector. One could equally argue this point about fine art.

Good luck and have a great session.

Stephen Miles Uzzo, PhD.
VP, Science & Technology
New York Hall of Science
47-01 111th Street
Flushing Meadows Corona Park, NY 11368 USA
V +1.718.699.0005 x377
F +1.718.699.5227