ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2013 15:36:06 -0500

Thanks to the ever enthusiastic Barry!

The idea of sharing representations of original objects with those who can't visit goes back centuries.  Recently, Google Culturals has kind of changed the face of 2d representations with its immensely detailed images of art from hundreds of museums, which allows you to see the work in ways you couldn't even if you could visit the museum.  In the science world, I worked on a hi rez scanning project for herbaria supported by Xerox at the NY Botanical Garden 20 years ago.  This was for researchers who needed access to plant specimen images and meta data.

The 3dness of this project is cool, but I think Barry is overselling the idea that this is fundamentally new, and the idea that people will print these in their classrooms also seems implausible (unless you want a blobby 2 inch red plastic dolphin skull).  The images are pretty cool, but the interface only an engineer could love.  And I *really* have a problem with the idea that these representations provide "access to the objects themselves."  I think projects like this are damaged by over-claiming how powerful the experience will be to look at flat representation of a 3d object on a computer screen, compared with actually seeing the objects.

I think autodesk still is promoting their app that allows people to make their own 3d scans http://www.123dapp.com/catch.  Its pretty awesome though very much trial and error to get a good scan, hours of fun in an ethnology or decorative arts collection (or armor!).

Eric

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This message is intended solely for the addressee(s) in the first instance
and may contain confidential information.  Please do not forward this email
without the consent of the sender.