ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wayne Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2008 06:02:25 -0700

Hi, thanks. I'm a big user of ILL here in our small town.  There are an
increasing number of science videos available on the internet from
various universities. I believe both MIT and Berkeley have open
classrooms where a viewer can listen into lectures. Both have complete
very good courses on physics available on the internet. Interestingly,
the MIT lectures, over 30 hours, were paid for my the professor who
teaches the course. The UC Berkeley physics classes are titled Physics
for (Future?) Presidents.  Although for a broader audience than the MIT
course, it's very good. I've only watched a sampling of these, but found
them quite good. The Berkeley segment on waves has a fascinating story
that he tells about naval secret, two actually, used by the US during WWII.

I've recently found three 1 hour videos on spectroscopy that are quite
good, and aimed at advanced amateur astronomers. I'm drawing that
conclusion on the basis of the first one, and just recently found two
more by the same presenter.

Of course, there's hulu (hulu.com), which has a lot of old TV programs,
but those aren't necessarily science programs--probably none.
Nevertheless, some video 30-60 min hour programs are starting to appear
on the internet. hulu may be the wave of the future for TV. That is,
everything may be on the internet.

It's too bad or someone doesn't have a documentary category. I really
asked that question for an elderly neighbor who doesn't get around well.
His family has set up a weekly delivery of various videos for him. He's
getting a bit tired of seeing some of them, and has expressed an
interest in other material. I loan him some of mine from time to time,
but don't have enough to keep him going for long periods of time. I
loaned him Cosmic Voyage recently, and he thought very highly of it. He
was right.

Maybe there's a business opportunity out there.

--

               "Philosophy is questions that may never be
                answered. Religion is answers that may never

                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>