ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Natasha Aristov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:30:54 +0200

In this long and very interesting discussion, the "other side" has nearly
always been referred to as the "Creationists".

I think that that diminishes the "size" of the thing that we are up
against.  While we see a bunch of unreasonable dogmatists, we should
understand that what motivates their fervor is that they are, in their
eyes, defending the Word of GOD (for chrissakes).  Any true believer is
going to have a hard time accepting that what is in the Bible, namely the
word of God as revealed to mankind  (I beg pardon, I am only trained in
judaeo-christian theology, so I can't name the other holy books), is untrue.

I think that we need to simply accept the existence of these kinds of
people; acknowledge that we are confronting them with, in fact, heresy;
behave in a way that demonstrates to them that although we do not believe
in the Biblical stories, we are, nevertheless moral, upstanding human
beings (and even Children of God, if you will!).  If they see that God is
good to us, and that we in fact are actually pretty nice folks, then after
a while they're going to have to start to think about why God tolerates
us.  At the very least, they will see us as a test of their own faith.  (I
don't mind being that ... There're plenty of other ways to be tested --
untimely death, serious illness, psycho terror.  If we're the worst thing
to happen to them, we're a pretty mild test.)

I agree with Peter Dow that confronting the opponent on his level
strengthens the opponent and weakens the victim.  Governments use the
"ignoring" strategy with great effectiveness all the time, as I discovered
in my mildly radical student days.  On a crass level, I once heard a quote
on Armed Forces Network: "if you find yourself in a fair fight, you haven't
planned your strategy right".

Natasha
no current affiliation