ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tom Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 10:59:23 -0700

Jeff,

Granted, there are several things one can do with this exhibit.  In
addition to some of what you describe,  the kids at CDM always used to
blow the air up their shirts, and those with long hair would let it
stream in the wind,  so we mounted a mirror on the wall nearby so they
could see themselves.  I might describe it as "somewhat", but not
"incredibly" rich.  Here is a snip from Chuck Howarth's earlier post:

>  Dupage Children's outside Chicago has another version where kids
> make their own Bernoulli blowers with PVC pipe, ping pong balls, and
> a table with multiple ports to plug into for pressurized air.  It's
> much more open-ended than the original and gives kids a chance to
> play with a variety of configurations.

I prefer the latter because it is designed to encourage all sorts of
creative play, not simply allow for it.  The link I posted to Karen
and Mike's great work with Wind Tubes at PIE is another example.   I'm
a big fan, if you can pardon the pun.

Tom Nielsen