ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Andrea Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:13:14 -0400

Hi Anne,

We purchased our wind tubes from the Exploratorium and started off with
their recommended list of materials (foam sheets, feathers, tp tubes,
pipe cleaners, etc.) After a few months of those we quickly realized we
were burning through far more consumables than anticipated, nearly
doubling our cost.

We have since significantly pared down our materials list to only snow
cone cups, paper strips, and tape. The paper strips are printed with
templates and we offer visitors three activity choices: paper copters,
and two designs from the Exploratorium Tinkering Studio, flutter disks
and hover craft. We have found that giving visitors some direction helps
keep everyone engaged minimizing the "stuffing handfuls of material into
the tube to see what happens" behavior. This change has definitely
increased dwell time and allows everyone an opportunity to complete a
successful flyer, and our creative visitors still make many amazing
variations.

Hover craft:
http://blogs.exploratorium.edu/tinkering/2012/06/22/cales-wind-table-fly
er/  (courtesy of Cale from the Don Harrington Discovery Center in
Amarillo, Texas)

Hope this helps!

Andrea Hart
Experience Designer