ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lisa Jo Rudy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 09:00:38 EDT

I did see the article.  I believe that article included a survey that said
that 55% of people believe that we were created as we are!  wow.

HOWever!  In the survey was this question (I belive this is how it was
worded) -- "do you believe that human beings adapted from less advanced life forms?"
 This is an intriguing and concerning way to word the question.

Here's why: by suggesting that we evolved from "less advanced" life forms, we
are essentially suggesting that, adapatation by adaptation, we are evolving
toward perfection.  That is -- any species which is NOW on earth is, by
definition, MORE EVOLVED and therefore more PERFECT than species that were on the
earth before us.

If we are teaching that concept as science -- and I believe many of us,
inadvertantly, are doing just that -- then we are reinforcing the idea of
intelligent design.  How could things get more and more perfect without something
intending (and defining) such perfection?

What's very important -- and yet very difficult -- to get across is the
notion that life evolves to changing circumstances.  That dinosaurs were as perfect
(or more perfect) for their circumstances as we are for ours.  That humans
have many adaptations that cause as much trouble as they create opportunity.
Bipedalism is not a universally good thing -- given back injury, difficulty with
birth, slower gait, etc. etc.!

Lisa

Lisa Jo Rudy, Writer/Consultant
625 Chelten Hills Drive