ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:22:14 -0700

Hi Sari,

I don't have much to say specifically about the kind of research you're
after, but I would like to comment a little on the premise; that is that
exhibits 'teach.'

I really believe (my opinion and not the opinion of my company or its
affiliates) that exhibits can be tools for learning - investigation,
testing, trial and error - but are just passive instruments for
investigation. I have a great respect for true teachers, those that know
how to draw out students, to help them think for themselves. Teaching is
not a passive exercise, but a constant give and take between student and
teacher. Exhibits are no more than props, tools to use in learning. That
is something that happens inside of a person, which is very different
from teaching, which is something that happens externally.

To me, exhibits as tools for learning are no different than a hammer as
a tool for driving nails. Unfortunately exhibits are too often wielded
just as heavily as a 20oz hammer, as they try to pound information into
visitors.  The results are usually not nearly as satisfying as those
from a skilled carpenter, who knows how to use his tool for just what it
was intended to do and no more.

Joe R
www.TheExhibitGuys.com