ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:12:59 -0400

Charley;

The why of science especially in the case of evolution is where we
can get into trouble. However, we may ask that question, Why?, it is
the framing of the answer that is the problem.  Remember the
exchanges : "Why?",
"Because",
"But WHY?",
"BECAUSE I SAY SO!"

Instead of answering Why? frame the question as:  Why you should care
about evolution? What is the relevance of evolution to our, and our
visitors', lives? Doe evolution have any impact on us and how is it
important to our lives?

  I think these maybe the hooks to get visitors interest.

Martin

my two cents:

This is not a scientific debate and no amount of scientific work will
serve to dissuade creationists or convince them that evolution is a
fact and that the theory of evolution is the best explanation of that
fact.

  This is not even a theological debate. It is, in the end, a
political and social movement that drives the resurgence of
creationism. And while we do not like it, creationism is likely to
remain a "live" belief in western and non-western society for a very
long time to come, as most of the reasons people have for being of a
particular kind of anti-science tradition are in no way related to
scientific reasons.

But that is not the issue. Most creationism will disappear when good
education is given to children. It is no accident that they seek to
control the teaching of children - this is the most effective way to
keep the beliefs alive. So too do other ideologies; not only the
Marxist-Leninists of yore, but the present conservatives, and before
them, the social democrats. So as long as we permit creationism,
including intelligent design creationism, to dominate educational
standards and policies, it will continue to be a problem for science
and society in general.

--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D
Vice President, Science