ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wendy Pollock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:54:36 -0500

Thank you to Claire for sharing this sad news with the listserv and calling
attention to the videos. The candid interview about the exhibition Endings
is classic Janet: "every single exhibit put someone off their lunch" (a
coffin? embalming fluid? decomposing mouse? in a children's museum?). I
walked through that exhibition with her 30-some years ago, and the
experience has always stayed with me. It wasn't only the unexpected
elements and insight into children's thinking (like the low wall of things
some of us aren't entirely sure are alive or not (like stuffed animals and
cut flowers). She also pointed out the paper-and-pencil "talk backs" with
their thoughtful prompts ("What do you and your family believe happens to
people after they die?" "I believe they walk up to heaven and get wings.").
You can read what she thought about "talk backs" in Visitor Voices in
Museum Exhibitions or here:
http://www.exhibitfiles.org/blog/2011/09/15/talking-back/

When I last ran into her, we talked about the mixed blessings of the
field's apparent successes and the need (in Janet's ever-succinct words) to
"dial it down."

Janet may not have wings, but surely her spirit will continue to live among
those of us who - knowingly or not - build on her work.

Wendy

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM, Claire Pillsbury <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> institutions.

> Dear ISEN ASTC community,
> The museum community lost a valued colleague with the passing of Janet
> Kamien.
>
> If you didn't have the opportunity to meet her in person at ACM, AAM, ASTC
> or hear her speak about her work, these videos made by Michael Spock about
> the Boston Children's Museum give an impression of her articulate,
> impassioned and bemused perspective.  Well worth watching if you have ever
> wrestled with a controversial exhibit topic, exhibits vs. programs, or
> internal debates.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_lBGCVRLpY&list=UUdTg546lYjJyYEijO7_j6JA
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMS2GPzQiUc&list=UUdTg546lYjJyYEijO7_j6JA

Wendy Pollock