ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2013 11:29:27 -0700

Paul, my dear friend,

Now we are really getting into the arcane nuances of 'exhibit building.'
McMaster is a fabulous resource. It's my 'go to' bible for standard
parts. My take on the McMaster handles/hand wheels is that their primary
strength, if you can excuse the turn of a phrase, is not their strength,
but that that are easily replaced!

Most of those handles and hand wheels with handles are made to be used
around people who know what they are doing. Little kids just haven't
developed the dexterity and control that those wheels/handles are
designed for. Another problem is that a robust McMaster handle, is
usually big and beefy. You would think that is an attribute, but in a
way, it is too much handle to handle

So, when I decide to use a McMaster handle, I choose the most robust
small one they have - and one that's easily replaced.  I know it's not
going last very long, but as long as a cheap replacement is readily
available, I'm good to go.

Now, when I really need a handle to last a long time, I try to follow
the example of bicycle pedals. They seem to have it figured out. They
have real bearings in-board and out, and obviously, they can take some
real abuse. But - if a bicycle pedal can't be adapted for handle use,
and often they can't be in a particular situation, making a custom one
is a real pain.

Or, how about no handle at all. I'm really loving the little finger divot.

Obviously, this only begins to scratch the surface of this topic. We can
talk about all kinds of torque limiting techniques; slipping belts,  or
the diameter of the wheel.  This topic probably deserves a listserve all
it's own!

Joe R.
TheExhibitGuys.com