ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Fred Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2008 09:41:12 -0800

Hi Allisa,

A good resource for doing this is described in a chapter from
Microcosmos: A curriculum guide to exploring microbial space. I think
Heinneman publishes it.
Jenny Stricker's chapter called Microbial Jello describes how to make
and pour your own agar (for cultutring many different criiters) and
to teach kids sterile technique.

The easiest way to do it yourself is to order pre-poured nutrient
agar plates from Carolina Biological . The simplest do it yourself
recipe is to mix some broth or a boullion cube in with unflavored
geletin and boil it or pressure cook it, then pour it into petri
dishes and let set overnight.

When the kids (or you) test hand washing vs not washing, also label a
control plate so you can compare all three.
You can let them grow in a dry, dark place (like a desk drawer) a
room temp for about a week and should get wonderfully nasty results!

Contact me offline if you want to talk this through.

Fred
Fred Stein
Science Educator
Exploratorium Institute for Inquiry