Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:33:46 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers

Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

That's odd the green chile and jalepeno ice cream was great!

-----Original Message-----

From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jonah Cohen

Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:36 AM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: 2013 ASTC Conference: a look back

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Now that the ASTC Conference has wrapped up, and in the 2nd prettiest town ever to host it, a brief look at some off the highlights/lowlights.

Because no one demanded it:

SAY MY NAME!

THE 2013 ASTC CONFERENCE BREAKS BAD

(and occasionally good)

BAD JOKE: In a true Abbot & Costello moment, the meeting rooms at the Albuquerque Conference Center had names instead of numbers. One room was called "Aztec".

BAD FOR YOUR STOMACH: We get it. In New Mexico, they add chiles to everything. The Green Chile Milkshake was taking things too far.

BAD WEB DESIGN: There were several sessions/discussions about the Next Generation Science Standards. These were good. Not so good was the chart of standards on http://www.nextgenscience.org/ that prints in a font size so small, even NISE-Net can't see it.

SMALL IS GOOD part 1: Big ups to all the presenters at the Big Ideas for Small Science Centers session, which was literally SRO. Several "tourists" from bigger centers snuck in. One told me that this was because "I thought this is where the good ideas would be."

BAD TO THE BONE: Fossils from a type of creature I'd never heard of seen at the NM Natural History Museum - the phytosaurs. Google it.

BAD MEDICINE: Among the many bizzaro contraptions at the Museum of Nuclear Science was the Revigator. It let you down the recommended 6-8 glasses per day of water that had been hit with radiation from radium.

GOOD GRIEF, I'M A NERD: I was excited at one session when I saw that both Eugenie Scott and Steve Spangler were in attendance.

BAD INTERPRETATION OF SCIENCE FICTION: Whoever was moderating the discussion of the keynote with Neal Stephenson started out by asking why so much scifi today has a dystopian view of the future, instead of the more optimistic, even utopian, vision of authors from the past. Uh, in what alternate universe does the work of Asimov, Heinlein or Bradbury count as "optimistic" about the future?

BADASS DEMONSTRATION: Craziest demo at the Live Demonstration Hour had to be Leonard Duda. He showed that pointing a heat gun at a semi-opaque gallon milk jug turns the plastic clear. Then he blew into it to inflate the clear plastic like a soap bubble.

BAD KITTEH!: While visiting the ABQ BioPark's zoo, a mountain lion tried to pee on me. Not cool, mountain lion!

SMALL IS GOOD part 2: The session on mini-grants was filled with one inspiring tale after another of what different centers had managed to do with small amounts of funding.

BAD IDEA ANYWHERE ELSE, VERY GOOD IDEA HERE: Taking advantage of the dry local weather, Outreach Live was done in a science festival format. The Science in the Park event was terrific. Along with the ASTC'ers, a lot of local presenters were brought in: Sandia Mountain labs, the BioPark, the Nature Center, a local astronomy club, Kirtland Air Force Base, the local library and more.

BAD NEWS FOR EAST COASTERS: I saw gas for as low as $2.95 in Albuquerque.

GOOD QUESTION: Why does Explora have a couch in the elevator?

BAD NEWS FOR PSEUDOSCIENCE: The NM Museum of Natural History had exhibits, both with bold signage proclaiming their content, about both global warming and the evolutionary origins of life.

GOODNESS AT EXPLORA: Among the many keen things in the "rabbit warren"

exhibit floor, I really liked all of the water-based ones, and the model plane you got to pilot. Or, crash, in my case.

GOOD TO KNOW: Want to run a session at next year's shindig in North Carolina? Don't forget - submission deadline is November 15th!

BAD BUDDIES: The biggest of props to all the staff at three host museums who had to team up, all of the helpful blue-shirted volunteers, and the conference staff from ASTC who no doubt worked as though they were on the blue meth to bring this event to fruition. Thanks!

Born to be Bad,

Jonah Cohen

Outreach & Public Programs Manager

The Children's Museum

"Inertia. Of all the physical forces, I would think I can count on you to stay the course."

-Stephen Colbert

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

* * Super Science Weekend: 3 Days of Super Science! Veterans Day Weekend: Sat. – Mon., November 9 - 11, 2013 * *

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the

message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2