ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kristie Mazzoni <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:56:19 -0500

Hello, Science People,

I'm interested in doing a session at ASTC next year on programs for
home-schooled students. I'm particularly interested in people who have
developed new programs or adapted old programs differently from what is
done with formal schools. We've always accepted reservations from groups
of home-schooled students for our museum programs, but we are finding
that they have different needs than our field trip groups. We just
finished a successful 8-week astronomy course for 10 - 14 years olds,
and we would like to expand into other sciences. I wanted to see what
others have done along these lines. These are some of the questions I
would like to explore:

*	How do you schedule home-school students? Among the field trip
groups? On their own day? After normal hours (or before)? Later in the
afternoon?
*	How is the material presented? With more or less depth? With
handouts and books? The same way as with any other group?
*	How do you group the different ages?
*	What do you do with parents and siblings? Do they pay admission?
Can they sit-in on classes? Do they drop off the students?
*	How do you contact the home-school students and advertise?
*	How do you handle different philosophies/ religions in class? Is
this even an issue for you?

I don't expect anyone to answer all of this on the list, but these are
the things we've been thinking about. In our area, parents of
home-schooled students are very educated and informed, and they are
looking for quality enrichment activities. I think this is an area where
museums can expand capacity, and others would want to know about
successes, or not.

If you would like to present with me, please contact me off-line, and
we'll put something together.

Thanks.

Kristie M. Mazzoni

Planetarium Director

Travelers Science Dome

The Children's Museum

950 Trout Brook Drive

West Hartford CT 06119

860-231-2830 x40

P  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
read use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message.  Any views expressed and advice
given in this message is that of the individual sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of The
Children's Museum.  E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be
secured or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.