ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:40:30 -0800

General admission at Pittsburgh's original Buhl
Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science
[1939-1991] was always free-of-charge for children
ages 3 and under.

The only exception was when the science museum opened
in 1939, when general admission to the building was
free-of-charge for EVERYONE; the only charge was for
admission to a planetarium show, at that time. In
1940, a small charge was added for the Institute of
Popular Science exhibit galleries, simply as a way to
prevent the homeless from spending all day in the
heated and air-conditioned building [first
publicly-owned building in the city, and possibly the
state, built with air-conditioning], as the homeless
continue to do in public libraries today.

gaw