HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert L Schuyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 10:38:13 -0400
In regard to a possible session on the "History of Contract[Historical]
Archaeology", I still think this would be an interesting exploratory
attempt for SHA 2000 in Quebec City. It could cover both the US and Canada.
It should not be focused on the old issue of "evil impact of contract
archaeology on the profession", which, as a non-contract archaeologist
is, I believe, a completely false issue. Rather it should focus on the
rise, origins and impact of this specific housing for historical archaeology.
On one hand, contract archaeology extends deeply into the 20th century with
the early 1930s work, later River Basin surveys and Highway Salvage
Archaeology [remember that term]. All of these involved contracts (e.g.
River Basin Survey - contracts between the NPS and the Smithsonian, I
think?). In contrast, it could be argued that contract archaeology only
dates from when there were private companies (not government agencies or
Universities-museums) set up specifically to do contracts. Is this a
valid division? And when did it happen (1974)? The contrast between these
two phases, and I know they certainly overlap, could be a focus of such a
session.

Again, I hope someone out there will consider doing a session on the
HISTORY of contract [historical] archaeology in Quebec.

                                Bob Schuyler