HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Philip Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:06:30 -0500
Never fear the axe--it awaits us all.
Actually "pothunters" (I use the term parenthetically now) publish in their
own journals. Some of the work is quite well informed if a bit on the
antiquarian side. many of them fancy themselves better identification
experts that the pros.
Meanwhile many professionally dug sites never produce meaningful research.
I don't mean this as a sanction (God help us) but rather as a way to
complicate the picture.