HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2017 15:13:16 -0500
Hi,

Ken Brown found mirror fragments at the Jordan Plantation slave quarters, in the residence/working area he identified as belonging to the curer/conjurer. They were interpreted as being part of the "conjurer's kit". The kit was reported in Brown and  Cooper 1990, but mirror fragments as part of the kit were reported a bit later, here (and in the final report submitted to the State of Texas).

Brown, Kenneth L. 2001. "Interwoven Traditions:  Archaeology of the Conjurer's Cabins and the African American Cemetery at the Jordan and Frogmore Plantations." In Places of Cultural Memory:  African Reflections on the American Landscape, edited by Larry D. Hudson, 99-114. Washington, D.C.: National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.

It used to be online but I can't find it at the link where it was earlier. If you want a copy of the PDF let me know off list. I believe there were some mirror fragments found elsewhere in the deposit as well. They should all be available in the Levi Jordan Plantation collection, now located at the Texas Historical Commission in Austin.

Ken used to be on this list, maybe he’ll want to comment.

And I could be wrong, but didn't Mark Leone find some, perhaps in one of the "cache" contexts he and his teams found?

Carol

Carol McDavid, Ph.D.

Executive Director, Community Archaeology Research Institute, Inc.

Adjunct Assistant Professor, Rice University

Co-editor, Journal of Community Archaeology and Heritage (http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/ycah20/current)

1638 Branard

Houston, TX 77006

www.publicarchaeology.org/CARI