HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2012 09:29:58 -0500
Katie,

In regards to your theory about feather lovegrass marking African American
burials:  I work in the Black Belt Region of Alabama which has pretty much
always had a majority African-American population, and I am familiar with
several nearby antebellum and postbellum Af-Amer. cemeteries.

However, grasses are notoriously hard for amateur botanists to identify (or
at least I think so) so I asked Wayne Barger, a field botanist that is doing
a botanical inventory of some state properties, including our extensive
archaeological site (formerly an antebellum town site with a HUGE graveyard
marked as "Negro burial ground" on historic maps).

Here is what he said:  No love grass collected in our burial ground or on
any nearby land with smaller cemeteries.  He also said that in Alabama it is
currently only known in about 8 AL counties, all south/southeastern counties
(so the counties nearest to Florida).

He promised to let me know if he finds it,  and he cc'd Dan Spaulding, who
he considers the Graminoid/Grass Guru so Dan would know about your question.

Here in Alabama, most rural, old African-American Cemeteries always have
trifoliate orange in them, and I am wondering if they might be the result of
intentional plantings in some cases.  They could have symbolic important,
since this "shrub" has nasty thorns that could represent the crown of thorns
and the unusual stems remain a bright green all year round.  It does have a
fruit that look lime or lemon-like, and it flowers in the spring before the
trifoliate leaves emerge.  It makes an awesome hedge plant, because its
sharp thorns would ward off any marauding pig or other animal that might
mess with the graves.

I know that it was introduced our area in the 19th century in an attempt to
grow oranges further north (as root stock) , but it remained as a hedge row
plant, but like you,  I am wondering of others are noticing this plant
associated with African American burials elsewhere.

Linda Derry
Site Director
Old Cahawba
719 Tremont St.