HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Daria E. Merwin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 11:01:48 -0400
Mr. Otter:

I was the team leader for an architectural documentation study
(mitigation for proposed demolition) for the Ditch Plains Artillery
Fire Control Stations in Montauk, Long Island, New York (tip of the
south fork).  Like your site, Ditch Plains was an integral part of
the Eastern Defense Shield, and the Harbor Defense of Long Island
Sound (HDLIS, for the protection of southern Conn., the New York
metro area, and N.J.).  The Ditch Plains installation is location 13A
in HDLIS, and consisted of two artillery fire control stations, two
generator huts, barracks, and a radar tower (SCR 296).  The barracks
and radar tower are no longer extant.

In addition to my own text, I have an earlier report assessing the
Nat. Reg. eligibility of the Ditch Plains installation, with
background for eastern Long Island sites.  One contact who proved to
be very informative for the first report is Alex Holder of the
Coastal Defense Study Group (617-545-1290).  The Ditch Plains site
was declared to be NR eligible by New York SHPO, but the landowners
are seeking a demolition permit because the buildings are in poor
condition and a liability.

I'll be back in the office after 1/6, so if you'd like a copy of the
two reports on Ditch Plains, send me your snail mail address.

Daria

Daria E. Merwin
Institute for Long Island Archaeology
Stony Brook, New York  11794-4364