HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:47:48 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Bill,

I'm not sure this qualifies as "Mid-Atlantic," but we here in New York tend to identify ourselves as either "Mid-Atlantic" or "Northeast," depending upon whichever suits us at the moment.

I am currently editing a volume for the online series New York State Museum Record (http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/publications/record/) based on the articles from a symposium we had here in 2010 called "Iron in New York." Several of the participants, including me, had done work on blacksmith shops and/or wheelwright shops. One was Dan Seib of the Public Archaeology Facility at SUNY Binghamton, who is also an amateur smith:  [log in to unmask] and another was Ann Morton, who was has been working on two very different smithy sites in New York: [log in to unmask] I myself did a data recovery on a country blacksmith shop in Parishville, N.Y. An article based on part of that report was published in the New York State Museum Bulletin No. 513:

http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/staffpubs/docs/20232.PDF 

I can send you a copy of the complete report if you like. Because my smithy had been stripped clean of all usable metals after abandonment, the focus of my report was primarily on how it is possible to identify work areas on a dirt floor using features and small debris.

My interpretation relied heavily on the help of four historically knowledgeable smiths, without whom I would have been at a loss to interpret much of what I saw, in particular Ken Schwarz, Master Blacksmith at the Anderson Blacksmith Shop in Colonial Williamsburg and Steve Kellogg of the Farmers' Museum in Cooperstown, both of whom visited the site during the excavation with two of their colleagues from the local area.

Ken, in particular, is knowledgeable about blacksmith archaeology and has studied most, if not all, of what's available. He is extremely busy these days overseeing the rebuilding of the Anderson shop (partly on the basis of archaeology), so I don't know if he would have much time to spare, but he is a great source of information and historic photos of shops.

Feel free to contact me off-list if I can help in any way.

Marty Pickands
New York State Museum

ATOM RSS1 RSS2