HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
davidsr01 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 05:51:00 -0500
Although there are many archaeologists who are more than adequately trained to do history, the sad fact is that with CRM and corporate bean counters, etc., there are many more who aren't. As Ned so aptly pointed out, this is a pathetic state. Last December I wrote to the Register of Professional Archaeologists board to address just this very issue. I requested that RPA revise its grievance procedures to cover archaeologists who use their credentials to do history, architectural history, etc., when they are not qualified to do so and there is a resulting impact to a non-archaeological resource. This might include "writing off" a significant building in a Section 106 study to adversely affecting a rural community by facilitating the construction of a communications tower by not taking into account cultural landscapes, rural historic landscapes, etc. I have been assured by new RPA president Chuck Niquette that the issue will be taken up at the next board meeting (April, I think; I'm in he field and my notes ar

Let's see how RPA runs with this one. I know, let the flames and mud start a flying'.

David Rotenstein